Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Angel Tree 2008

As I share this post, I find myself torn with the balance of not being boastful, but wanting to share a truly wonderful experience. With that said, here goes.
Thanksgiving day as we talked about what would work for everyone as far as the name exchange for Christmas went, Toni made a suggestion that I felt drawn to immediately. She reminded us how much we all have, and that it tends to get a bit tricky to shop for people who don't need much. She made a suggestion that we put our money that we would spend toward a charity, and as we talked we decided that the Angel Tree was an option that we all felt good about. We called Carolyn and asked her thoughts. She was on board as well, and knew of a charity in Texas that she could contribute to. My Dad has made this suggestion for years, and we finally "got it."
It was decided that we would do this as Family Home Evening the following Monday. We picked up the 9 Angels, and met at Target in Jordan Landing to shop together. What an amazing experience to join together and do our part to make a difference. It was so fun to shop around and assist each other in finding fun things, or great deals. We met afterwards at Wendy's for an easy dinner, and to visit about the night. The cousins love being together (almost as much as the grownups do ;)
My absolute highlight of the night was this; I wanted to attempt to help Ben understand what we were going to be doing that night, and why. As we got our shoes, and coats on, we talked. I told him that tonight we were going to go shopping. That we got to share with kids who didn't maybe have as much as we do, because we have so many blessings. Immediately upon my finishing that sentence he said, pointing to himself, Tucker, and I, "Yeah Mom. Like 1,2,3 blessings." Wow! What more could I say?

Click to play Angel Tree 2008
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

3 comments:

Gary and Ellie said...

Do you sleep? What a great legacy for you children.

Hay said...

Every year we donate to the free clinic or do a few angels from the angel tree. It has always been great and now that the kids are all older they plan on carrying the same thing with their families.

Josh and Juli said...

I love that! It seriously brought a tear to my eye when I read what Ben said. You are such an amazing mom, Liz. Your kids should definitely be thankful for you!